Sunday, August 25, 2013

Review #1 - Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey



For my first review I decided to go with Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. I have to say I absolutely love the products coming out of the Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort Kentucky. I'm not sure what it is about their products but they match what my taste buds are looking for when it comes to Bourbon. It's also a huge bonus when you go from one product to the next and you get that consistent flavor profile that lays the foundation in the whiskey.This product was one of the first whiskies that I sat down with for awhile to sip and enjoy.

Not so long ago when I made the move towards drinking Bourbon I watched a review of this product by Ralfy Mitchell. I went searching around for it and found it fairly easily for about $25 at my local Virginia ABC Store. Coming from somewhat of a Scotch perspective I didn't think $25 was going to get me much in terms of a decent anything however Ralfy has never steered me wrong.

PRODUCT SPECS

Whiskey Type - Bourbon

ABV - 45%

Mashbill - (Mashbill #1) which is considered the "wheat mashbill" - also used in George T. Stagg and Eagle Rare

Age - No age statement on bottle. Speculation is between 7 and 9 years.

NOSE
Brown sugar
Caramel
Creamy vanilla
Citrus (fresh lemon peel and light orange)
Light notes of cinnamon spice
Hints of honey and cola

PALATE
Toasted oak - slightly bitter
Black tea
Black pepper
Mint notes
Tobacco

FINAL IMPRESSIONS
Coming in at 45% Alcohol By Volume is respectable as there is a general rule of thumb which says that the higher the ABV the fuller the flavor that can be expected. I let the whiskey sit in the glass for a good 20 minutes to let it settle down a bit.

The nose is a perfect balance between being undetectable and hugely overwhelming and it has the undeniable characteristic of Buffalo Trace products. Once you've nosed a few you can pick up that foundation and it's beautiful.

The palate falls flat to me. For such a great nose I was expecting much more complexity in the flavor but it seems thin and the finish disappears rather quickly. I get a lot of wood and deeper spice characteristics but that's about it.

PRODUCT RATING 
2 out of 5. This is a great entry level Bourbon for the money. It doesn't have much in terms of complexity but its still a good Bourbon to enjoy around the campfire.

RATING SYSTEM
0 - hot dog water - nothing redeeming
1 - one dimensional - not complex and can be flat in areas
2 - entry level whiskey -  a few highlights for a good value
3 - daily sipper - solid, well made product that is always enjoyed.
4 - big whiskey - complex layered flavors - amazing balance
5 - huge, exceptional, unique, one of a kind


No comments:

Post a Comment